*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Use the very popular Build It!® blocks to work through engineering challenges and create fascinating structures such as high-rise towers, bridges, pyramids and more.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What factors affect the stability and success of a structure?
- How can a structure be modified to become more stable?
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to the engineering concepts behind building structures.
- To encourage students to use problem-solving skills through building challenges.
Students will be able to:
- Predict and explain information or events based on observations.
- Make appropriate choices regarding balance, building methods, materials and forces in order to build stable structures
- Explain the various factors which affect the stability of a structure
Methods and Activities:
- Students will be introduced to the Build It! Blocks, including their various surfaces and stacking methods.
- Students will participate in hands-on challenges and activities involving the use of Build It! Blocks.
- Students will discuss each challenge to determine why their structure did or did not work.
Balance, Equilibrium, Forces, Stability, Mass, Freestanding, Gravity
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- Large room with a large open floor area.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Pre K - Grade 5
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.