*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Use the very popular Build It!® blocks to work through engineering challenges and create fascinating structures such as high-rise towers, bridges, pyramids and more.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What factors affect the stability and success of a structure?
- How can a structure be modified to become more stable?
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to the engineering concepts behind building structures.
- To encourage students to use problem-solving skills through building challenges.
Students will be able to:
- Predict and explain information or events based on observations.
- Make appropriate choices regarding balance, building methods, materials and forces in order to build stable structures
- Explain the various factors which affect the stability of a structure
Methods and Activities:
- Students will be introduced to the Build It! Blocks, including their various surfaces and stacking methods.
- Students will participate in hands-on challenges and activities involving the use of Build It! Blocks.
- Students will discuss each challenge to determine why their structure did or did not work.
Balance, Equilibrium, Forces, Stability, Mass, Freestanding, Gravity
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- Large room with a large open floor area.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Pre K - Grade 5
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students