*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Harness the power of renewable energy. Design your own turbine blades to rotate with wind power and transfer that energy into lifting power! Put your STEM skills and knowledge to the test and use your creativity to design the most efficient solution to this engineering challenge.
3.P.1.1, 3.P.1.2, 4.P.3.1, 5.P.1.2
Major Concepts to be explored:
- Students will use green energy to do work.
- Students will transfer wind power to mechanical power.
- Students will learn how to use the Engineering Design Process.
Goals of the Program/Class:
- To introduce students to the Engineering Design Process.
- To provide an opportunity for students to design and create blades that will move with wind power.
- To allow students creative means to solve engineering problems.
Students will be able to:
- Define materials that can catch the wind.
- Explain the shape and angle of blade design and its effectiveness.
- Describe how the linear wind force is changed to rotational force through their wind turbine.
Methods and Activities:
- Brainstorming and planning with team members to solve an engineering problem.
- Students will work in cooperative groups to plan, design, and make turbine blades.
- Students will test and improve designs to make their windmills work more effectively.
Turbines, Blades, Green Energy, Mechanical Energy.
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- 5 tables or grouped desks for students to work in cooperative groups.
- One table for facilitator demonstrations.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – at least 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 8
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.