*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Roll up your sleeves and investigate the wonders of this most precious resource. Explore water above, on and below the surface as you dive into water cycles, buoyancy, filtration and pollution, aquatic life and properties of water.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What are the major properties of water?
- What is the relationship between weather and water?
- What is buoyancy?
- What are some ways to combat water pollution?
- What are some examples of animals that live in the ocean?
- What are some examples of microscopic organisms that can live in the water?
K.P.2.1, 1.E.2.1, 1.L.1.1, 1.L.1.3, 2.P.2.1, 2.E.1.1
Goals of the Workshop:
- To provide a broad understanding of the many aspects of water, both fresh and salt water.
- To perform various water-based activities and analyze their results.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand water properties
- Understand how water is involved in the water cycle
- Understand how buoyancy, density and objects floating are related
- Understand water filtration, how it is done, and how pollution affects other things
- Understand how salt water is different from fresh water and how that affects the animals that live in both types of water
- Observe and describe various microscopic water organisms
Methods and Activities:
- Students will perform hands-on experiments that illustrate different properties of water.
- Students will experiment to discover how buoyancy, density, and objects floating are related.
- Students will perform water filtration and pollution activities to discover how pollution can affect various aspects of life.
- Students will experiment with salt water and fresh water to discover differences, and observe various sea life specimens.
- Students will observe various microscopic water organisms.
Water, Surface Tension, Adhesion, Cohesion, Capillary Action, States of Matter, Water Cycle, Buoyancy, Density, Filtration, Pollution, Fresh Water, Salt Water, Magnification, Magnification Power
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Tables for students to work in groups
- Ready access to water (for both use and disposal)
- Access to electricity
- Approximate set-up and clean up time is ~45 min.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students if multiple programs are booked. *Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
- 15 minutes in between sessions to reset
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.