*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Join the MAKE movement as you create, build, innovate, design, improve, hack, push boundaries and solve problems. Embark on a series of projects that highlight STEM concepts, allow for self-expression, foster teamwork and improve critical thinking in this workshop tailored to your students’ needs and experience.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is the engineering design process?
- How can math, science, and technology be used to solve problems?
21st Century Skills:
Participants will be able to:
- Communicate by sharing thoughts, questions, ideas, and solutions
- Collaborate by working together to reach a goal – putting talent, expertise, and smarts to work
- Think critically by looking at problems in a new way and linking learning across subjects and disciplines
- Create, innovate, and invent by trying new approaches when presented with a challenge
Goals of the Workshop:
- Students will learn and utilize the steps of the engineering design process with each Make activity.
- Students will use guided inquiry to develop their own visions and bring their ideas to reality.
- Students will discover how common materials can be used to create problem solving technologies.
- Students will strengthen their team-building and communication skills.
Participants will be able to:
- Test the limitations of new materials through hands on exploration with them.
- Design their own creations and produce them using materials provided.
- Redesign their creation to improve on their original design for a superior Make.
Methods and Activities:
- Students will be introduced to a variety of materials and tools that they will then be able to use in the creation of different Make activities such as robots, rockets, and bridges.
- Students will be given broad directions for the Make activities which allow for an open ended method of experiential learning.
- Students will use the steps of the engineering design process to make an effective model.
Engineering Design Process, Plan, Improve, Hypothesis, Prototype
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- 15 minutes to reset between sessions if multiple sessions booked
- Large room with area for movement.
- Table and chair for each student.
- Minimum of one large table for setting out Make activity supplies.
- Small storage onsite for Make materials if possible.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 8
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
call for pricing
- maximum 25 students
Unleash the power of technology in this 6 or 12 week robotics workshop
You Can Build It!
Use the very popular Build It!® blocks to work through engineering challenges and create fascinating structures
Workshop: Mini Maker
Become a maker as you create, build, innovate, design, improve, hack and push boundaries