*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Inspire the engineer within! LEGO cars, free-standing towers and race boats are used to explore science and math concepts like symmetry, mass, volume, buoyancy and motion. This hands-on experience combines independent exploration and teamwork to design, build and test creations.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is a bridge?
- Why is teamwork and communication important?
- What are some engineering strategies behind bridges, towers, and boats?
- How can a boat’s buoyancy be affected by weight and design?
- K.P.1.1, K.P.1.2, K.P.2.1, K.P.2.2, 1.P.1.1, 1.P.1.3
Goals of the Workshop:
Students will be introduced to the engineering concepts behind building towers, bridges, marble rolls and boats.
Students will be able to:
- Communicate by sharing thoughts, questions, ideas, and solutions
- Collaborate by working together to reach a goal – putting talent, expertise, and smarts to work
- Think critically by looking at problems in a new way and linking learning across subjects and disciplines
- Create, innovate, and invent by trying new approaches when presented with a challenge
Methods and Activities:
- Students will participate in different types of building challenges including towers, bridges, marble rolls, and boats.
- Students will use hands-on exploration to discover what buoyancy is and how it can be affected.
- Students will use various building materials, such as magna tiles, Duplos, K’Nex, LEGO, and Kapla Blocks, to complete engineering challenges.
Teamwork, Communication, Buoyancy, Force
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Large room with large desks or enough small tables for students to work in groups of 4.
- Things that should not get wet should be cleared from the tables, since large amounts of water will be used.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- 15 minutes in between sessions to reset
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.