*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Witness the wonders of the universe in this in-depth look at the relationship between Earth and its nearest neighbor in space. Learn about what causes day and night and changes in the appearance of the moon.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What are the phases of the moon?
- How can star patterns and constellations be located and identified?
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to the night sky.
- To introduce students to the earth/moon/sun system.
- To explore the lunar cycle.
- To introduce students to constellations and the mythology behind constellations.
Students will be able to:
- Recognize the phases of the moon in the lunar cycle
- Identify at least three constellations
- Define light pollution and identify why it may be a hindrance when star gazing
- Determine direction (North, South, East, West) using star positions
Methods and Activities:
- A brief introduction will familiarize students with the Starlab, including the concepts to be explored and behavioral expectations inside the dome.
- A Discovery Place Outreach educator will lead students through a presentation on the phases of the moon as well as a tour of the night sky.
- Students will examine the night sky in various forms and experience the seasonal changes in the night sky.
- Students will discover how Greek constellations were named and listen to Greek Mythology stories that accompany constellations.
Moon Phases: New Moon, Crescent, First Quarter, Gibbous, Full Moon, Third Quarter, Waxing, Waning, Constellations, Light Pollution, Planetarium
- Approximate set-up and clean-up times 60 minutes before and after program
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Program will need to remain set up in one location and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Access to electricity.
- Indoor area (usually a gym or multi-purpose room) with minimum clean floor area and ceiling height
Set-up Needs for Class Sizes Up to 30 Students:
- Minimum clear floor area of: 11’ in height and 21 ‘x 21’ in width.
Set-up Needs for Class Sizes Up to 50 Students:
- Minimum clear floor area of: 16’ in height and 27 ‘x 27’ in width.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 5
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day) large dome is an additional $25 per program
- 30 (small dome) or 50 (large dome)