*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Uncover various ways to create sound while learning about the physical properties of sound including how sound waves travel, pitch and volume
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- How does sound travel?
- What are the physical properties of sound?
- What are some ways that sound can be produced?
Goals of the Program:
- To provide a hands-on opportunity to build an understanding of the concepts of sound.
- To introduce the properties of sound, such as pitch and volume, and methods for manipulating them.
Students will be able to:
- Explain that sound travels in waves
- Explain how we hear sound
- Define frequency and amplitude
- Explain how changing the frequency or amplitude of a sound wave changes the sound produced.
Methods and Activities:
- Graphics and a short demonstration will introduce the concepts of sound, how it travels, wave properties, and hearing.
- Students will rotate through several stations, which will expand on each of these topics.
- A brief conclusion encompassing the learners’ experience wraps up the program.
Pitch, Volume, Vibration, Frequency, Amplitude, Wavelength, Crest, Trough, Cochlea
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Indoor location with 6 long tables spaced apart for stations.
- Access to electricity and a water source.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – at least 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 1 - 2
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.