*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Robots undoubtedly entertain us, but what else can they do and how can they help in the real world? Work with robots to solve a unique challenge that will test, not only what a robot can do, but what a human can engineer.
Major Concepts to be explored:
- What is a robot?
- What is coding?
- How can robots and humans work together to solve problems and challenges?
- What is the Engineering Design Process?
- NCES: 3.P.1.2, 3.L1.2, 4.P.3, 7.P.1-2, 8.P.1, 8.L.1
- NGSS: 3-PS2-2, 5-ESS3-1, 3-5-ET3-1, MS: Engineering Design
Goals of the Program/Class:
- To provide an opportunity for students to operate a robot.
- To introduce concepts of coding/programming, troubleshooting, and real-life applications for robotics.
Students will be able to:
- Explain what is and is not a robot.
- Program a task that a robot will be able to complete, and problem solve a solution if necessary.
- Understand the process of coding as a method of communicating a task to a robot
- Explain how the Engineering Design Process is used in coding and robotics.
Methods and Activities:
- Demonstrations, discussions, and discrepant events will introduce students to the engineering design process, robotics, and programming.
- Students will work in cooperative groups to further explore the engineering design process and its use within robotics.
- Students will program and troubleshoot a robot.
Robot, Coding, Programming, Loop
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Space for cooperative groups to spread out and set up courses for the robots.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – at least 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 8
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.