*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Become a maker as you create, build, innovate, design, improve, hack, push boundaries and problem solve. Students will embark on a series of make projects, tailored to your students' needs and experience. These highlight STEM concepts, allow for self-expression and foster teamwork and critical thinking.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is the engineering design process?
- What are new tools and technologies that can be used to solve problems?
- How can an idea be made into a tangible object?
Vary by Make
Goals of the Workshop:
- Students will learn and use the steps of the engineering design process with each Make activity.
- Students will use guided inquiry based learning to develop creative uses for everyday materials.
- Students will discover various new materials such as polymers, cardboard, paint cans, and dried pasta.
Students will be able to:
- Learn the limitations of new materials through hands on exploration with them
- Design their own creations and produce them using materials provided
- Redesign their creation to improve on their original design for a superior Make
Methods and Activities:
- Students will be introduced to a variety of materials that they will then be able to use in the creation of different Make activities such as catapults, ice cream, and even human skeletons.
- Students will be given broad directions for the Make activities which allow for an open ended method of experiential learning.
- Students will use the steps of the engineering design process to make a successful creation.
Engineering Design Process, Plan, Improve, Hypothesis, Prototype
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- Large room with area for movement.
- Table and chair for each student.
- Minimum of one large table for setting out Make activity supplies.
- On site small storage for make materials if possible.
- 15 minutes in between sessions to reset
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.