*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Become a detective during this crime-busting workshop. Learn techniques including fingerprint analysis, chromatography and chemical analysis to solve a mystery.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is forensics?
- What are some different techniques that can be used to solve a crime?
- How are fingerprints analyzed?
- What is chromatography? How can it help solve a crime?
- How can different solids and liquids be analyzed as evidence?
K.P.2.1, K.P.2.2, K.E.1.1, 2.L.2.2
Goals of the Workshop:
- To introduce students to the science of forensics, and to show different ways that evidence is analyzed.
Students will be able to:
- Understand what it means to do “forensics” work
- Identify fingerprints
- Understand what chromatography is, and how it can help solve a crime
- Understand how to analyze different solids and liquids as evidence
Methods and Activities:
- Students will learn about the different types of forensic science.
- Students will analyze fingerprints.
- Students will perform chromatography experiments.
- Students will analyze “mystery” solids and liquids.
Forensics, Crime Scene, Fingerprint Analysis, Chromatography, Chemical Analysis
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Large room with tables for students to work in small groups (approx. 2-4 students/group).
- Access to water.
- Access to electricity.
- Approximate set-up time is 30 min.
- 15 min needed between sessions to clean-up and restock stations.
- Approximate clean-up time is 30 min.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.