*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Investigate the properties of solids, liquids and gases while conducting exciting experiments. Witness instantaneous phase changes featuring liquid nitrogen.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is the definition of matter?
- What are the three principle states of matter?
- How do molecules behave differently depending on their state?
2.P.2.1; 3.P.2.1; 3.P.2.2; 3.P.2.3
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to the properties of matter in its different states.
- To provide an opportunity for students to explore what happens when materials change their state of matter.
Students will be able to:
- Define matter
- Explain the properties of the three main states of matter
- Describe the behavior of molecules in the three main states of matter and during phase changes
Methods and Activities:
- Demonstrations and discrepant events will introduce students to the definition of matter and the properties of the three main states of matter.
- Students will work in cooperative groups to further explore the properties of solids, liquids, and gases.
- Students will make predictions then use their observation skills to note changes in the states of matter for various materials.
Matter, Mass, Space, Solid, Liquid, Gas, Condense, Expand
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- 5 tables or grouped desks for students to work in cooperative groups.
- One table for facilitator demonstrations.
- Access to a sink.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – at least 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 2 - 5
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students