*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Newton’s Laws of Motion come alive in this class packed with guided-inquiry activities. Make predictions and investigate how changes in mass, force, gravity and friction affect the motion of an object.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What are Newton’s Laws of Motion?
- How do force, acceleration, mass, and gravity affect the movement of objects?
3.P.1.1; 5.P.1.1; 5.P.1.2; 5.P.1.4; 7.P.1.2
Goals of the Program:
- To provide an opportunity for students to understand forces and motion using Newton’s laws of motion.
- To analyze activities and determine which of Newton’s laws apply to the activity.
Students will be able to:
- Define motion
- Define a force and recognize forces when they see them in action
- Interpret and apply each of Newton’s three laws of motion
- Recognize that unbalanced forces produce acceleration
Methods and Activities:
- Demonstrations and discrepant events will introduce students to the concepts of force, motion, and friction.
- Students will work in cooperative groups to explore all three of Newton’s laws of motion through inquiry-based activities.
Force, Motion, Acceleration, Mass, Balanced Forces, Net Force, Friction, Newton’s First Law of Motion, Newton’s Second Law of Motion, Newton’s Third Law of Motion
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
At least six (6) tables or desk clusters for experiment stations.
One (1) additional table and one (1) student desk for demonstrations and additional materials for activities.
A large open area (gym, multi-purpose room, empty hallway) for wrap-up activity.
Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 45 minutes before and after program.
Program will need to remain set up and secured from students if multiple programs are booked.
Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 7
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.