*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Festival Booth programs display exciting science topics for visitors to explore at their leisure. Each experience consists of a table staffed by a Discovery Place educator conducting hands-on experiments and demonstrations as well as self-guided learning time.
Small groups of visitors will have a brief (5-10 minute) interaction at each booth. Booths are appropriate for all ages and a great addition to festivals, family nights, school functions and community events.
- Animal Explorations - Travel across the planet to discover unique creatures and their habitats. Get close to some cool critters in this animal encounter.
- Astronaut Adventures - Experience the challenges of space travel faced by astronauts and check out a NASA space suit. (Add-on option: Taste astronaut ice cream, a freeze-dried treat developed especially for astronauts in space. Cost: $2.50 per participant)
- Brain Teasers & Optical Illusions - Learn how the eyes and brain work together to create illusions. See a real human brain! Participate in some mind-boggling demonstrations and seemingly impossible puzzles. By the end of the day, you’ll discover that seeing is not always believing.
- Colorama - Explore color and light. Learn how colors are derived from light and pigments and how humans perceive color. Hands-on activities include optical illusions, UV light, emission spectrum analysis and chromatography.
- Diggin’ Fossils & Dynamic Dinos - Take a trip into the past and uncover ancient inhabitants of the planet. Explore fossils, including teeth, claws, bones and eggs. Learn about prehistoric animals and plants.
- Electrifying Encounters - Watch sparks fly and step up to the Van de Graaff generator for a hair-raising experience. Experiment with building circuits and learn how electricity really works.
- Ocean Explorations - Take a deep sea dive and explore life in the oceans with a variety of Museum specimens. Learn how ocean products are used in everyday lives.
- Super Cool Science - At 320°F below zero, fascinating things begin to happen. Explore the world of cryogenics during this chilling presentation. (Add-on option: Liquid nitrogen ice cream can be made in less than 10 minutes and everyone gets a sample. Cost: $1.00 per participant)
- You Are What You Eat - Decipher the dangers of fast food temptations and how to make healthy choices. Read nutrition labels and examine a fast food meal to measure its energy and nutritional content.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Pre K - Grade 8
- Duration: 60 minutes
$200 per program ($150 additional same-day program) | $750 all-day booth set up (6 hr max)
- Open air programs available to any number of visitors
Assembly: Energy, Energy, Energy
In this assembly, eye-popping demonstrations illuminate the science behind electrical, chemical and thermal energy
Assembly: A Matter of Science
Chemistry and physics come alive during this Assembly program of flames and explosions
Engage in action-packed chemical reactions while learning about properties of materials