*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Explore the Engineering Design Process and participate in hands-on inquiry activities. Design and build your own solution to a real-world problem. Units include: Designing Bridges, Designing Alarm Circuits, Designing Windmills, and more.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is the Engineering Design Process?
- What different jobs or careers are done by engineers?
- How can the Engineering Design Process be used to solve real world problems?
Varies by unit
Goals of the Workshop:
To introduce students to the Engineering Design Process and how it can be used to solve real world problems.
Students will be able to:
- Understand the Engineering Design Process
- Understand the work of different types of engineers
- Use the Engineering Design Process to solve a problem
Methods and Activities:
- Students will learn the definitions of engineering and technology through hands-on exploration
- Students will read a story about a student who has to solve a problem
- Students will explore the steps of the Engineering Design Process
- Students will learn about the type of engineering that is modeled in the story through an applicable hands-on activity
- Students will use the Engineering Design Process to plan, design, and create a solution to a similar problem that is in the story
- Students will use the “improve” step in the Engineering Design Process to make pertinent changes to their solution
Engineering, Technology, Engineering Design Process
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Large room with tables for students to work in small groups (approx. 2-4 students/group).
- Access to water.
- Access to electricity.
- Approximate set-up time is 30 min.
- Approximate clean-up time is 30 min.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 5
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.