*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Conduct hair-raising experiments with the Van de Graaff generator. Learn how electrically charged objects produce motion. Build circuits and investigate renewable energy sources
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is electricity?
- What is a circuit?
- How can a circuit convert electrical current into light, heat, and sound?
- What are renewable energy sources?
- What are magnets?
- What is the law of magnetism?
4.P.1.1; 4.P.1.2; 4.P.3.1
Goals of the Program:
- To differentiate between static and current electricity.
- To introduce students to electrical circuits and the materials used to build them.
- To explore several types of magnets and the attraction and repulsion of various materials to the magnets.
- To explore how renewable sources of energy can be used to generate electricity.
- To analyze energy transfer through a system.
Students will be able to:
- Build a circuit and name the components necessary to make a working circuit.
- Understand the difference between parallel and series circuits.
- Recognize materials that act as conductors or insulators.
- Identify materials that are magnetic.
Methods and Activities:
- A brief introduction, including a demonstration with a Van de Graaff generator, will introduce the students to electricity, circuits, and magnets.
- Students will build circuits, test conductors and insulators, and experiment with magnetic materials.
- Students will explore how generators create an electrical current.
Static Electricity, Current Electricity, Electron, Parallel Circuit, Series Circuit, Conductor, Insulator, Magnetism, Attract, Repel
- Preference is inside location with 6 tables to be used as hands-on activity stations.
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Access to electricity.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 8
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.