*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
For the littlest paleontologist, rediscover dinosaur friends that lived long ago. Journey into the past and explore the time of the dinosaurs with hands-on activities and fossil investigations.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is a dinosaur?
- What is a paleontologist and what do they study?
- What is a fossil and what are the different types of fossils?
- How do fossils form?
- How do scientists excavate fossils?
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to dinosaurs and to the difference between dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals.
- To introduce students to the science of paleontology and the work of a paleontologist.
- To introduce students to fossils, how to differentiate types of fossils, and the formation of fossils.
Students will be able to:
- Know the characteristics that define a dinosaur, that dinosaurs are no longer alive, and what the difference is between a dinosaur and other prehistoric animals.
- Know what a fossil is and how they are formed.
- Define paleontology and explain what a paleontologist does.
Methods and Activities:
- Students will participate in discussion about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.
- Students will explore stations with different types of fossil specimens.
- Students will make their own “fossils” and excavate fossils.
Dinosaur, Prehistoric, Paleontology, Paleontologist, Altered Fossil, Original Fossil, Trace Fossil
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Preference is in a large room with a large open floor space and at least 5 long tables to be used for setting-up stations and fossil excavation pits.
- Approximate set-up and clean up time- at least 45 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to be set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Secure location for materials if left overnight.
- NOTE FOR TEACHERS: The students will have a station where they can make a fossil using air-dry clay. Discovery Place will provide shells, but it is also an option to have the students bring something from home/classroom.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Pre K - Grade 2
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.