*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Learn about stars, planets and other celestial objects during this astronomical workshop, all while experiencing the excitement of the Starlab inflatable plaentarium.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- The basic concepts of astronomy
- How to make their own star finder
- The characteristics and life cycles of stars
- Identification of key points of reference in the night sky
- The seasonal skies
3.E.1.1, 3.E.1.2, 4.P.3.2, 4.E.1.1, 4.E.1.2, 6.E.1.1, 6.E.1.2, 6.E.1.3
Goals of the Workshop:
Participants will be introduced to the basic concepts of astronomy through a mix of exciting demonstrations, student-centered, inquiry based activities and the portable, inflatable planetarium
Participants will be able to:
- Communicate by sharing thoughts, questions, ideas, and solutions
- Collaborate by working together to reach a goal – putting talent, expertise, and smarts to work
- Think critically by looking at problems in a new way and linking learning across subjects and disciplines
- Create, innovate, and invent by trying new approaches when presented with a challenge
Methods and Activities:
- A Discovery Place educator will use the planetarium to guide participants through the night sky.
- Participants will make their own star finder to help them find objects in the night sky.
Solar System, Constellations, Planet, Dwarf Planet, Orbit, Rotation, Planetarium, Exoplanets, Black hole
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up times: 60 minutes before and after program
- Program will need to remain set up in one location and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
- Access to electricity.
- Indoor area (usually a gym or multi-purpose room) with minimum floor area of 21 feet x 21 feet and ceiling height 11 feet.
- A separate or nearby classroom space with tables and chairs for students.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 3 - 8
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.