*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only. **Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
What is a mammal? Do amphibians lay eggs? Uncover clues and learn about the five classes of animals: mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and insects. Explore habitats, survival skills, life cycles and food chains.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What are the different categories of animals?
- What does it mean to be a mammal? Reptile? Amphibian? Bird? Fish? Insect? Spider?
- What is a food chain?
- What is a life cycle? What are some examples of animal life cycles?
- What is a habitat, and how are habitats different from each other?
K.L.1.1, K.L.1.2, 1.L.1.1, 1.L.2.2, 2.L.1.1, 2.L.1.2
Goals of the Workshop:
- To introduce students to the six classes of animals, and present characteristics of each class.
- To show how the characteristics and adaptations of animals allow them to survive in their particular habitat.
21st Century Skills:
Participants will be able to:
- Communicate by sharing thoughts, questions, ideas, and solutions
- Collaborate by working together to reach a goal – putting talent, expertise, and smarts to work
- Think critically by looking at problems in a new way and linking learning across subjects and disciplines
- Create, innovate, and invent by trying new approaches when presented with a challenge
Methods and Activities:
- Students will learn about the different categories of animals.
- Students will participate in hands-on activities that will allow them to understand animal adaptations, animal needs, habitats, and classification.
- Students will be able to view and touch both preserved and live specimens.
Mammal, Reptile, Amphibian, Bird, Fish, Insect, Spider, Invertebrate, Vertebrate, Habitat, Adaptation
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Preference is in a large room with tables for students to work in small groups (approx. 2-4 students/group).
- Approximate set-up time is 30 min.
- Approximate clean-up time is 30 min.
- Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 6 one-hour sessions
Call for Pricing
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.