*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Through active exploration, learn how scientists classify animals. Compare characteristics of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and fish.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What are some different ways to classify animals?
- How do scientists use distinguishing characteristics, similarities, and differences to classify animals?
- What are the basic needs that all animals share?
K.L.1.1; K.L.1.2; 2.L.1.2
Goals of the Program:
- To introduce students to the concept of classification.
- To enable students to correctly classify animals based on their physical characteristics.
Students will be able to:
- Understand which animals belong to various classifications by recognizing the distinguishing characteristics of that group
- Notice similarities and differences of animals within the same group as well as similarities and differences in animals of different groups
- Observe the characteristics of a live animal in order to accurately predict its classification
Methods and Activities:
- Students will discuss the various groups of animals and their identifying characteristics.
- Students will rotate through hands-on learning centers where they can make observations of similarities and differences and explore examples of animals from each group.
- Students will observe several live animals and predict their classification based on their physical characteristics.
Classification, Similarities, Differences, Reptiles, Amphibians, Fish, Birds, Insects, Mammals, Arachnids, Vertebrates, Invertebrates, Cold-Blooded, Warm-Blooded
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
Six tables for stations.
Approximate set-up and clean-up time – at least 30 minutes before and after program.
Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
Secure storage location for materials if left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x505
- Grades K - 2
- Duration: 50 minutes
$150 first class / $125 each additional class (same class, same day)
- Maximum 25 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.