*Individual Memberships available at Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature only.
**Guest passes are available for Family Memberships only.
Chemistry and physics come alive during this presentation of flames and explosions. Wow your students with incredible demonstrations involving combustion, changing states of matter, electricity, and the wonder of nitrogen in its liquid form.
Energize your students with a high-octane science experience. Assembly programs can accommodate up to 300 students at a time and cover a wide range of topics. The dynamic action includes audience participation, fun-filled demonstrations and live experiments.
Please note: Assembly programs are intended for large audiences and have limited audience participation. if you are looking for a program during an event please check out our Festival Booth programs.
Major Concepts To Be Explored:
- What is matter?
- What are the different phases or states of matter?
- How does matter behave differently in various states?
- What does a combustion reaction need?
- What is static electricity, and what are its properties?
Goals of the Program:
To provide a better understanding of matter, the states or phases of matter, how matter changes from one state to another, and how it is changed by the addition of heat energy.
- 2.P.2.1 - Give examples of matter that change from a solid to a liquid and from a liquid to a solid by heating and cooling.
- 3.P.2.2 - Compare solids, liquids, and gases based on their basic properties.
- 3.P.2.3 - Summarize changes that occur to the observable properties of materials when different degrees of heat are applied to them, such as melting ice or ice cream, boiling water or an egg, or freezing water.
- 6.P.2.1 - Recognize that all matter is made up of atoms and atoms of the same element are all alike, but are different from the atoms of other elements.
- 6.P.2.2 - Explain the effect of heat on the motion of atoms through a description of what happens to particles during a change in phase.
Methods and Activities:
- Volunteers from the audience will assist with experiments examining the properties of each of the states of matter.
- Participants will predict the effects of temperature changes on various states of matter
- Participants will examine the properties of static electricity.
Matter, Energy, Molecules, Combustion, Gases, Solids, Liquids, Plasma
- Preference is stage area in gym or auditorium.
- Teaching/presentation space must be accessible via wheeled cart.
- Two long (6’-8’) tables.
- Access to electricity at stage area.
- Access to a sink.
- A large trash can.
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time – 1 hour before begins and after program ends.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students if multiple programs are booked. Secure storage location for materials if going to be left overnight.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades K - 8
- Duration: 50 minutes
$450 first program $300 each additional program (same day)
- up to 300 students
Build bridges to STEM education
Discovery Place Education Studio provides customized professional development in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to educators across the region at our state-of-the-art facility in uptown Charlotte or delivered right to your school.