Discovery Place Membership
- I have never been to the Museum but I think purchasing a Membership might be the best way for my family to experience all you have to offer. Can I visit the Museum first and then convert my admission to a Membership?
You may apply your Museum admission toward a Membership purchase on the day of your visit. You may do this by presenting your receipt at the Admissions Desk before leaving the Museum.
- How long is a Membership valid?
Memberships are valid for 12 months from the purchase date.
- I just purchased a Membership. Can I visit the Museums before I receive my permanent Membership cards?
Yes. Your Membership is valid as soon as you purchase it and you may visit the Museums before you receive your permanent cards. Here's how:
If you purchased your Membership during a visit to one of our Museums, you should have received a temporary Membership card upon purchase. You may use this card, along with an ID, to check in at the Museum. If you are a Member of Discovery Place or Charlotte Nature Museum, you may also present your temporary card at one of the ASTC participating reciprocal museums to receive reciprocal benefits.
If you purchased your Membership via the phone, you may present an ID at the Admissions Desk to check in and receive Member discounts.
If you purchased your Membership online, you should have received a confirmation email. You may print this and present it at the Admissions Desk to check in and receive Member discounts.
- I would like to register online for a Camp, Education Studio program or other event. How do I receive my Membership discount?
Discovery Place recently launched a new online portal that will allow Members to easily take advantage of Membership discounts and benefits. If you have not already registered for the new system, you will need to create a new username and password to take advantage of exclusive discounts and benefits. If you have registered, please be sure to Sign In before completing your purchase.
Click here to access the new online portal.
If you are unable to access your Membership account, please contact the Membership Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704.372.6261 x357.
- When will my permanent Membership cards arrive?
Membership cards will arrive within approximately 3 - 4 weeks.*
*Please note: Due to high volume, we are currently experiencing an unusual delay in processing Membership cards.
- What do I do if I never received my permanent Membership cards?
Please contact the Membership Head Office:
email@example.com or 704.372.6261 x354
*Please note we are currently experiencing an unusual delay in processing Membership cards.
- I lost my Membership cards. Can I still visit the Museums? How do I get replacement Membership cards?
Contact the Membership Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704.371.6261 x354 to request a new set of Membership cards. Replacement card fee is $5.00.
You also may request a replacement card in person during your next Museum visit.
You can visit any of our Museums without your Membership card. Just present a photo ID at the Admissions Desk. A Guest Services Associate will be able to access your Membership information.
- Where do I find a list of reciprocal ASTC museums?
Click here to view a PDF list of participating museums.
You may also request a list from Guest Services on your next visit to the Museums.
Please Note: ASTC created their Travel Passport Program to encourage families to support their local science center or museum by giving them a benefit they can use while traveling or visiting out-of-state friends or relatives.
Participating science centers and museums and/or a Member's primary residence located within 90 miles (as the crow flies) of Discovery Place are excluded from the Passport Program. Catawba Science Center, Natural Science Center of Greensboro, North Carolina Transportation Museum Foundation, Roper Mountain Science Center, Schiele Museum of Natural History and Planetarium, SciWorks and Spartanburg Science Center are among the participating science centers and museums within a 90-mile radius that are excluded from the Passport Program. Passport Program Members must show a valid ID at Admissions.
- Is Discovery Place KIDS a part of the ASTC Travel Passport reciprocal program or the ACM reciprocal program?
Discovery Place KIDS is not a part of any reciprocal program.
- How do I update my address or other contact information?
Please contact the Membership Office:
email@example.com or 704.372.6261 x354
- As a Member, do I get discounted admission for my guest?
Members' guests do not receive discounted admission but you may add up to two guests to your Membership (Family levels only). The add-a-guest option is valid for the duration of your Membership. To add a guest, contact the Membership Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, 704.372.6261 x354 or during your next visit to the Museum.
- Can I add my nanny/caregiver to my Membership?
By adding a Guest Pass to your Membership, your nanny or caregiver will be able to bring your child(ren) to the Museum as often as they would like. Nannies/caregivers should not be listed as adults on the Membership unless they live in the household.
- Can I choose to add-a-guest or an IMAX 8-Pack to my Membership at any point during my Membership?
You can purchase an IMAX 8-Pack add-on at any point as long as you have a valid Membership to Discovery Place. The IMAX 8-Pack vouchers will expire one year from the purchase date.
You may add up to two guests to your Membership as long as you have a valid Family-level Membership. Guest additions are valid for the duration of your Membership.
- Can my children use our Family Membership when visiting with a group or with a field trip?
Memberships are designed to be used for family visits and are not valid on group visits or school field trips.
- Can I change the Museums included on my Membership?
Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferrable. You can easily upgrade your Membership at any time to include additional museums.
- Is any portion of my Membership tax deductible?
Family Memberships are not tax deductible.